Cakes are loved by everyone and it is nothing better than eating your favorite one. You have heard about cheesecake, pancake, pound cake but if you have not heard about king cake before then let me tell you that it is a type of cake which is mainly eaten on the eve of Christmas and some other special occasions. Some king cakes are made of sweet brioche dough and in New Orleans during the carnival season, thousands of king cakes are eaten.
If you want to make this cake on some special occasion or your children want to eat it, then you don’t have to worry about it. Today after reading this article you will be able to make one for yourself because we are going to tell you the easy king cake recipe and how to make king cake easily at home.
In this article, we will be covering,
- What are the ingredients in a king cake?
- How to make king cake easy? King cake recipe
- How much time does it take to make king cake at home?
- What is the nutritional value of a king cake?
First of all, let’s take a look at the king cake ingredients, then we will tell you the easiest method to make this yummy cake.
What are the ingredients in a king cake?
- 1 (16-ounce) container sour cream
- ⅓ cup of sugar
- ¼ cup butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (1/4-ounce) envelopes active dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups bread flour*
- ⅓ cup butter softened
- ½ cup of sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Creamy Glaze
- Purple-, green-, and gold-tinted sparkling sugar sprinkles
How to make king cake easy? King cake recipe
- Cook first 4 ingredients in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring often, until butter melts. Set aside, and cool mixture to 100° to 110°.
- Stir together yeast, 1/2 cup warm water, and 1 tablespoon sugar in a 1-cup glass measuring cup; let stand 5 minutes.
- Beat sour cream mixture, yeast mixture, eggs, and 2 cups flour at medium speed with a heavy-duty electric stand mixer until smooth. Reduce speed to low, and gradually add enough remaining flour (4 to 4 1/2 cups) until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes). Place in a well-greased bowl, turning to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until dough is doubled in bulk.
- Punch down dough, and divide in half. Roll each portion into a 22- x 12-inch rectangle. Spread 1/3 cup softened butter evenly on each rectangle, leaving a 1-inch border. Stir together 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle evenly over butter on each rectangle.
- Roll up each dough rectangle, jelly-roll fashion, starting at 1 long side. Place one dough roll, seam side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bring ends of roll together to form an oval ring, moistening and pinching edges together to seal. Repeat with second dough roll.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 20 to 30 minutes or until doubled in bulk
- Bake at 375° for 14 to 16 minutes or until golden. Slightly cool cakes on pans on wire racks (about 10 minutes). Drizzle Creamy Glaze evenly over warm cakes; sprinkle with colored sugars, alternating colors, and forming bands. Let cool completely.
- Cream Cheese-Filled King Cake: Prepare each 22- x 12-inch dough rectangle as directed. Omit 1/3 cup softened butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon. Increase 1/2 cup sugar to 3/4 cup sugar. Beat 3/4 cup sugar; 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened; 1 large egg; and 2 teaspoons vanilla extract at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly on each dough rectangle, leaving 1-inch borders. Proceed with recipe as directed.
- *6 to 6 1/2 cups all-purpose flour may be substituted.
How much time does it take to make king cake at home?
|Preparation Time||30 mins|
|Cook Time||10 mins|
|Stand Time||5 mins|
|Rise Time||1 hr 30 mins|
|Bake Time||16 mins|
|Total Time||2 hrs 31 mins|
What is the nutritional value of a king cake?
Servings Per Recipe: 16
|Vitamin A Iu|
So did you liked this king cake recipe? If yes, then don’t forget to share this article with your friends and family so that they can also make this king cake at their homes.
Also, don’t forget to share your valuable thoughts in the comment section below.